Home    Contact us

  Drop-Down Menu

 
 

              Guwahati, or Pragjyotishpur as it was called in ancient times,occupies a unique place in development of Assamese Nationality, its culture, customs, art and literature,sports and education. Alongwith the establishment of Cotton College in 1901,Raibahadur Bhuban Ram Das and Manik Chandra Baruah had another venture in their mind for the people of Assam. As good number of students of this part of the country had to go to Calcutta (now Kolkata) for pursuing a degree in Law.. Baruah through his rentless efforts could convince the British Government and ultimately the Hunter Commission in 1903 recommended the establishment of a separate law college for Assam instead of having law classes in Cotton College. The then Chief Commissioner of Assam Sir Archdale Earle took all necessary steps for a law college in Assam. The efforts of Rai Bahadur Bhuban Ram Das, Manik Chandra Baruah (1875-1915), Karmabir Nabin Chandra Bordoloi, Deshabhakta Tarun Ram Phukan bore fruit in 1914 when the Earle Law College was established in Guwahati with Jnanadhiram Barooah, Barrister at Law, as its first Principal. The premier institution for legal education is the first post graduate institution in Assam and one of the oldest law colleges in India. The college was under the Calcutta University from 1914 to 1947 as during that time there was no University for postgraduate studies in Assam. The college was then brought under the Gauhati University as Gauhati University Law College in 1948 and its premise was shifted from the Eastern bank of Dighalipukhuri, Panbazar ( where the new hostel of the Handique Girls College has been raised) to Gauhati University campus at Jalukbari ( now Gopinath Bordoloi Nagar), Guwahati. Thereafter, the Government of Assam, with a view to making this college a centre of excellence in legal education and opening post graduate law (L.L.M.) course in Gauhati University,took over the college in 1975 as the Government Law College and since then, the college was imparting legal education from the campus of Cotton College temporarily. In 1993 the college added another feature to its crown by starting L.L.M. course under Gauhati University. Meanwhile, the college has been renamed as the Bishnu Ram Medhi Governmant Law College after one of the great sons of Assam, commensurating with his birth centenary. It produces large number of legal luminaries and caters to the needs of the entire Northeast. In 2010, the college found its permanenet abode its present address with yet another feather to its crown with the introduction of the 5 yr. B.A. LL.B. course. The Government of Assam has ambitious plans for introducing various specialised courses to fulfil the need students of the Northeast and the legal fraternity. The college celebrated its centenary in 2014-15.

Powered by  S S Technologies